Sunday, January 13, 2008

Christmas Retrospective

Yes, it's January. And yes,I'm just now getting around to telling you about Christmas. We had a very special Christmas this year as we were able to be in our home for the first time ever. I love it when we go to one of our parents' houses for the holidays, but there was something sweet about Sam waking up in his bed on Christmas morning. And to make this year extra-special, we hosted Nana (Debbie), Papa (Bill) & Uncle Jeff. They flew in the Friday before Christmas, so we had several days to hang out (and shop!) before the holiday. We had so much fun, and we ate a ton. We didn't make our usual trip to Big Ed's, but we did feast on Nana's monkey bread. Sam had a wonderful Christmas, and he got his first ever Thomas train set. The train was such a big hit that we had to go to Target the day after Christmas for more track. Sam also got new clothes and books and DVDs (he loves Thomas the Tank Engine, Bob the Builder and Curious George). He is also pretty much Uncle Jeff's biggest fan. We all had a wonderful time together, and we are so thankful that the Touseys were able to come to NC, although we did miss Aunt Steph and Uncle Ken terribly, and we hope that this is our last Christmas on opposite sides of the country.

After Nana, Papa and Jeff left for Florida, we piled into the car and drove down to SC for a few days. We were there to celebrate Christmas and something else... oh yeah, my THIRTIETH BIRTHDAY! What? We had a yummy spaghetti dinner when we arrived, and then we had "Christmas" with Granny (Susie), Papa (Ray), Uncle PJ, Aunt Sarah and Chase. Our soon-to-be-Aunt Ashley had to work. Sam got more toys, more clothes and a great outdoor set that includes a backpack, tent, flashlight and water bottle. He was a little skeptical of the tent at first, but after Dad got in he was fine. He slept in the tent most nights while we were there. I also got to see all my grandparents, my Aunt Maureen, and Keilah and I had lunch to celebrate the 3 in front of our ages. We had a busy few days, but it was a lot of fun. We rolled back into Raleigh on New Year's Eve.

Tim and I also got some pretty cool Christmas presents (and birthday presents for me). Tim got a new set of waders from his parents and a beautiful framed print of a guy fly-fishing from mine. I racked up on kitchen wares - Bill and Debbie got me a great Rachel Ray dutch oven (I already made the most delicious batch of potato chowder...) and Mama got me a KitchenAid stand mixer. Tim's parents and my parents both got me new red Fiesta Ware for my birthday. Mama had started me on the Fiesta Ware last year, so I asked for some more this year, and boy did I get it! I love having a whole set of red dishes in my kitchen.

In addition to the hockey game and Zamboni ride from Tim and Sam, Tim also presented me with a mini-package to the theater. We have a wonderful off-Broadway series here. The best parts of the present are that Tim has already booked sitters for each show, and the Krispy Kreme is just down the road from the theater! Woo-hoo! We have already seen The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (a little weird and definitely not for kids). Next up is The Drowsy Chaperone, then The Wedding Singer and Monty Python's Spamalot.
I hope you all had a lovely Christmas as well.

4 comments:

Martha said...

man, I'm so jealous about the stand mixer! I want one really bad. I also have fiesta ware dishes and I looove them. They were a hand-me-down from my sister but they still look like new!

Anonymous said...

Well,

We missed you guys too, and it will definitely be the last time your Christmas kicks off 2 hours before ours. It is time to say good bye to AZ...can't wait to see you all in the spring.

Love,

Aunt Steph

Debbie said...

What beautiful memories we all hold in our hearts from this past Christmas. We look forward to having Stephanie and Ken with us next year and who knows what else might come floating down the "river".
Love,
Nana

Anonymous said...

If I'm not mistaken, I think I was present at the time when Tim's last picture was taken in those funny pants.