Sam is at that age where his brain is just a little sponge. He is so good at learning and memorizing new things.
We have been praying scripture over him and with him at night, and he quickly memorized those prayers. He can say Zephaniah 3:17 and a version of Colossians 3:12-14 that includes specific words about Sam. It's the sweetest thing to hear him speak these words of scripture.
The day of the inauguration it was snowing out, so we watched the festivities most of the day. By the end of it, Sam couldn't stop talking about "Brockobama." And he just loves that he recognizes our president and can say his name. Sam even recognizes President Obama's voice on the radio. So Tim and I took this new found excitement and began learning all the presidents with Sam. He quickly caught on and as of this morning he can name 14 presidents (the first 11, George W. Bush and Barack Obama).
Tim and Sam had been using the Internet to look at pictures and learn names of the presidents, and then last week I found giant president flash cards on clearance at Barnes & Noble. Sam loves to look at the pictures, and he can name the men by their picture, both in order and mixed up.
But the funniest thing happened last night. Tim and Sam had memorized through number 10, John Tyler. So we were in the car heading home from dinner and Sam asked to do the presidents. He and Tim went back and forth, naming Washington to Tyler. Then Sam asked us who number 11 was. We didn't really know. So I guessed Zachary Taylor. Tim thought I may be right. Sam piped up from the back and said "No, it's James K. Polk!" We laughed.
When we got home Tim checked the deck, and sure enough, James K. Polk was our 11th president. Zachary Taylor is number 12. Smarty Pants.
Monday, February 23, 2009
Takin' Us to School
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Oh my gosh, I love it!
This reminds me of a commercial from several years back. Parents are quizzing their oldest on the state capitals. When they get to Vermont the child can't remember, but the baby in the highchair cries out, "Montpelier!"
Emma says Barack Obama's name the exact same way. The funniest thing that she has done was to ask if the guy on the Allstate commercials was "Brock Obama".
I had a high school teacher who used to always tell us that if you exercise your memory regularly you can make it stronger (and he had the memory to back up that claim!) If so it looks like Sam is on his way to a remarkable brain.
Natalie, Sam thinks every tall African-American male is Barack Obama. At least the All-State guy has played a president on TV!
Thats funny Jenn. I bet that when GiGi reads this papa Don will be really excited. I love you bunches! Miss you all!
Sammer, you are too cute and smart!
When I was in the 5th grade we were all assigned a presidents name in social studies class. So the teacher would only refer to us by our president name. I was James K. Polk!
Love ya!
Jeffrey
I think Sam may be well on his way to being in that Presidental lineup one day!
Cindy Sanders
Post a Comment