Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Vomit, tantrum, and full-price vaccines, all in one visit!

Yes, that was our day yesterday at the doctor's office. (I know, it had been a whole five days since we had been to a doctor!)

I tore our house up looking for my insurance card yesterday. The pediatrician requires visual confirmation of New Baby's coverage by the two-month visit. I'm pretty sure that the nice front desk lady at a doctor visit a week or so ago kept my card after xeroxing it. (Who can keep up, really?) So I didn't have it. My insurance coverage hasn't changed, we have just added a new little person. But the front desk lady at yesterday's appointment wouldn't budge. Or call the insurance company. I told her that if we didn't have insurance I wouldn't have bothered coming in. I would have been too busy selling my possessions and possibly one of the children to pay the Duke bill for Baby Girl's surgery. (Okay, I didn't really say that out loud.)

So there I am, agreeing to pay for the office visit in full. Sam at this point is still being good. He has really been just great lately. Until about 2:30 pm yesterday. We were back in the exam room waiting for the doctor to come in and give Charlotte two months worth of shots (because why not double up on vaccines the day you're paying out of pocket?) when Sam started unraveling. Then Charlotte threw up all the milk she had ingested two hours earlier. Some of it got on my shirt; most of it got on the only blanket I had packed.

Sam decided about this time that he needed to wash his hands. I gave him two baby wipes. He wanted soap and water. I didn't have any. He threw the baby wipes at my head. He screamed at me. He took off his shoes and put his socks on his hands. Since the doctor was in the room, I decided to let him live.

Since Charlotte went and missed her first well baby checkup (she was busy recovering from surgery, you know) we had combined the well-baby with the four week checkup. So the doctor at that visit didn't give her the first round of vaccines. So she got the first and second round all at once yesterday. One oral and five shots. She did great. And so did my Visa debit card when I got to pay for both rounds. In full.

We will be reimbursed. But still. Tim's birthday is Sunday, so I told him that I got him a fully-vaccinated baby as his gift.

When I went in to get Sam up for his nap yesterday afternoon, the first thing he said to me was, "I'm sorry I yelled and cried at the doctor. I'm sorry I threw at you." Oh sweet boy, all is forgiven. (And he has no idea that his three-year checkup is a mere four weeks away, and that he has his own round of shots coming.)

And just so you know, Charlotte is growing well. She is now 9 pounds, 10 ounces. I won't be so thrilled next month when they put Sam on the scale. He got on ours at home yesterday, and he is 26 pounds. He's so little! But that's okay - I can still tote him around.

I am going to play blocks with my guy now...

9 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh, that sounds like a story out of my old nannying life. I don't envy your yesterday at all. What funny memories, though (at least, at some point...). And Sam! How sweet that his little 3-year-old self remembered to apologize hours later. Man, that's really something.

The Browns said...

Sweet boy!!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Sam have a tantrum but when I do , I will probably be amazed.He has always been good when I've seen him.
Love y'all,
Gi Gi

Anonymous said...

That's too funny. Well, it's funny for those of us reading about it. We've had a couple appointments like that. Maggie obviously doesn't want anyone in the medical profession to mess with her and she has been like this since her Glenn. We went in for one of her check ups and I had to take Trent with me. I wanted them to check her O2 sats and she was ticked. She was screaming bloody murder and Trent thought they were hurting her so he was crying too. So there I am with two screaming kids and Trent is ticked off at the nurse. We try to leave him with his Mammie for Maggie's appointments. Never fails, they alsways make it interesting.

Deborah Kirby said...

Oh my word! I read this out-loud to Andrew and Amber --- and we all found ourselves sympathetically laughing! Just another day in the life of motherhood!

Give me a call when you are up to it! The coffee invite stands!

Deborah

Anonymous said...

I agree with Deborah - just another day in the life of motherhood. Thanks for blogging about it because it will make all those moms who have yet to experience that know that when they do - they are completely normal!!!! Such a sweet Sam and great job, Jenn and Tim, and teaching him to say that and realizing at age 3 when is wrong and what the solution is. To think, they say our children don't get it when they are that young....

Jackie said...

I know I just laughed at your expense but it sounded so funny! I remember those days. Sam is a sweetie to remember to say he was sorry. JMoore

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

Ok, so that was hilariously funny! Aren't you glad you're a blogger! Maybe the Lord just wanted you to have a super duper post and that's why your doctor visit was so eventful. You're so sassy!

Love and laughs!

Scooter

Debbie said...

Jenn,
I'm proud of how you kept your composure through it all. It takes a real mom to take a wet one in the face and laugh about it later.
Sam, Nana is proud of you for apologizing to Mama for treating her poorly at the doctor's office.
Charlotte, we are equally as proud of you for your weight gain and taking the shots like a real champ. After what you've been through you probably figured is this the best you can do? I've tackled far worse than this.
Love you all,
Debbie/Nana/Mom